Education as we know is evolving from being confined to just classrooms and books to online lectures and e-libraries. We are used to the traditional ways of education which required an infrastructure comprising of buildings, classrooms and students acquire education from teachers present in the classroom and get direct assistance from them in the time of inconvenience or doubts regarding the subject. Institutes are now looking at online teaching as an alternative to traditional teaching. They are gradually shifting to online learning. This shift from traditional teaching has opened multiple doors for the teachers to now teach students at a global scale. The ability of reaching students around the globe has encouraged teachers to teach online.
As the technology progresses, more and more platforms are emerging that enable online education. People are using the internet as a platform to share their knowledge to others and work on improving their skills. Teachers need a computer, a webcam, a microphone and an internet connection to teach online. The shift from traditional teaching to online teaching has opened multiple doors for the teachers to now teach students at a global scale as the lectures can be streamed to students all around the world.
Gaining and maintaining a student’s attention is perhaps the biggest challenge faced by an educator. With the technology contributing to education sector it is more important that the student engagement in the classroom is maintained. Some of the strategies that can be used in online teaching are:
- Using LMS: LMS or learning management systems allow instructors to record lectures, deliver them live, or both. They also help manage the digital repository of lectures, student assignments, their attendance and performance.
- Communication: Good communication is the basic necessity of education. The teacher-student engagement and interaction is necessary for optimal teaching experience. The teacher should provide students a platform where they can ask their queries and get them resolved in minimal time period. While explaining concepts in video conferencing mode teachers can also use live chat to communicate with the students.
- Demonstration: Online teaching requires teachers to frequently upload their lectures into LMS. Demonstration is the main way to convey the concept and theories to the students. They help in enhancing the learning experience.
- Simulations: Simulations are a way to create and deliver a digital environment that allow students to practically test their knowledge of the subject. Preparing simulation is a long and tedious process but help in learning the concepts through visuals. Take for example the simulation of heart being created to teach biology students about the heart. It would be quite difficult to teach them about various chambers and veins of the heart but with the help of 3D models and diagrams they would be able to learn efficiently.
- Games: Like simulations, games can help students gain practical knowledge for the topic in hand.
- Games and competitions can be arranged by the teacher to make learning more fun and engaging. These are the best ways to retain student engagement in the classroom. Not only it makes their brain active but also helps in improving one’s confidence.
- Case studies: A case study research paper examines a type of subject of analysis in order to determine key themes and results that later help predict future trends. Case studies can be helpful in improving the active learning and cognitive skills of an individual. It helps in promoting research, problem-solving skills.
- Problem-based learning projects: This activity helps students to solve problems using their skills. Problems can be analytical, logical, or reasoning. It contributes to making the mind active.
Education mixed with technology is a positive step in making the learning experience better while providing better management. LMS portals and ERP help in reducing the effort of managing the paperwork as the same task can now be done just by the click of a button. They reduce human workload while being more efficient. Online classes are the future of education as it is able to appeal to a major part of the population whilst being cheap and more efficient. It helps the teachers reduce their workload while providing better education to the students. With the use of the internet, online teaching is the future of education