Professional ethics are ethical principles that a person or a group of people in a particular environment are obligated to follow. They are the guiding principles that need to be followed by or are supposed to be followed by the people in that particular profession. Professional ethics is different for different professions depending on the weight of responsibility that accompanies it. This blog specifically talks about the professional ethics that need to be followed by teachers.
Why Professional Ethics are Important
Every workplace has its own set of work ethics - but why? Why are professional ethics so important in the workplace?
Good ethics can help gain the confidence of superiors while also promoting integrity, which means continuing to do the right things even when they are not watched. Even though the importance of ethics in professional life can be demonstrated by several instances of the failure of businesses, it is better to show it through the lens of positivity.
Professional ethics promotes equality, non-partiality, and a collaborative mindset within a workplace environment. Maintaining ethical standards ensures that all people at the workplace are treated equally and respectfully, and is a must for the prosperity of that school or organization as well as the development of a person’s personality. Good ethics will help maintain the honest image of the school or organization as well. It will help refrain from such activities that would discredit the profession and as a result, the institution as a whole. Hence, adhesion to ethics is to let conscience take the lead at all times.
Professional Ethics Teachers Have to Follow
Just like in the case of a brand or organization, the school staff is also obligated to maintain a set of standards that are instrumental in promoting a safe and inclusive learning environment. Given below are a few professional ethics that these teachers need to follow at educational institutions, split into 5 based on the kind of interaction they have with each other.
- Teachers must respect the dignity and rights of the students in expressing their opinion
- Teachers should deal with students justly and impartially irrespective of their religion, caste, gender, political affiliation, social stature, and physical characteristics.
- They must be able to identify and recognizes the differences in aptitude and capabilities among the students in their class and try their level best to meet their individual needs.
- They are supposed to encourage students as a means of improving their attainments, developing their personality, while at the same time, also contributing to community welfare.
- They are responsible for inculcating scientific temperament, the spirit of inquiry, and the ideals of democracy, social justice, environmental protection, patriotism, and peace among students
- They must treat the students with dignity and should not behave in a vengeful manner under any circumstance.
- They are obligated to make themselves available to students beyond their class hours and be ready to help and guide them with no extra remuneration
- Teachers should help students to develop a deep understanding of our national heritage and national goals
- Under no circumstance should a teacher incite students against each other, other teachers, or the administration.
With Fellow Teachers
- All teachers are expected to treat other faculty members in the same manner as they wish to be treated themselves
- They should help each other to grow professionally and be willing to help each other if the need arises.
- They must not make allegations against coworkers to higher authorities without substantial proof or evidence.
- All teachers must make sure that there is no discrimination in the workplace in any way shape or form because of one’s caste, creed, religion, ethnicity, nationality, race, or gender in their professional endeavor.
With the Administration
- Teachers must conduct themselves and deliver their professional responsibilities as per the existing rules and adhere to methods and procedures that are consistent with their profession when it comes to initiating steps through their own schools/colleges and/or professional organizations.
- Teachers should under all circumstances refrain from undertaking other forms of employment and commitment that are likely to interfere with their professional responsibilities, including private tuition, coaching classes, etc.
- They must be able to cooperate in forming policies of their respective institutions by accepting several offices and discharging responsibilities if their position demands so.
- They must show interest in the betterment of the institutions by keeping in view the dignity of the profession
- They must strictly adhere to the terms of the contract they signed when they joined the educational institution.
- They are expected to provide due notice (as prescribed in their document of contract) before a change of position takes place
- They must not avail leave except when it is completely unavoidable and as long as it is utterly unprecedented.
With Non-Teaching Staff
- The teaching staff must treat the non-teaching staff with the same respect and dignity that they give to their colleagues.
- They must participate in and help in the general functioning of joint-council sessions that involve both teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Teachers are obligated to inform guardians of students if they are misbehaving or if they want them to help them improve in their academics.
- The teacher is answerable to a guardian if the student is not performing well.
- They must help the guardians in case of any queries they might have about their wards’ further education.
As can be inferred from the above section, it is clear that a teacher’s role is multifaceted, having to wear several hats in the course of their time at the institution to facilitate their role. It is therefore imperative that they adhere to their professional ethics strictly and hence be the perfect role model for their students as well as for their colleagues.
Teachmint is the leading ed-infra provider helping educational institutions improve their efficiency. With our offerings like LMS, attendance management, fee management system, and more, institutes can boost their productivity multifold.