Children are often under a great deal of stress and need to be heard. Student counselling can help adolescents cope with these pressure, but parents must recognize its value and necessity.
Proper student counselling will assist them in learning vital life skills that will result in a satisfying existence when applied in everyday life.
What are the advantages and importance of counselling for students?
- Psychological disorders are one of the most common obstacles that students experience and struggle to overcome. They are protected from any concerns that may negatively influence their academics if they receive suitable supervision and counselling.
- They acquire problem-solving techniques that will benefit them in school and afterwards.
- Counselling teaches children how to deal with a variety of challenging circumstances that arise during their school years.
- They understand why it's necessary to open up about problems.
- Student counselling also aids them in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- They can interact with people in a variety of settings and live a calm existence.
- Students learn to appreciate others with the proper instruction.
- Counselling helps people become more aware of their options and aspirations.
- They make better decisions in school and are better equipped psychologically for the future.
- Counselling can assist kids in talking honestly about their problems.
- They learn the rules of life and follow them to become a better person.
- They can bring up their concerns and get them addressed via professional counselling. They pick up on social etiquette and find it simple to deal with difficult situations.
Educational and professional opportunities counsellors are educated professionals familiar with student issues, psychology, and behaviour. They are aware of the circumstances that cause students to feel lost and confused about their future options. The current circumstance has increased the need for counselling for students since it aids in broadening their horizons in terms of possibilities.
In other cases, family pressures and financial obligations become impediments to pursuing desirable and interesting professional options. Counsellors are also capable of analyzing and dealing with such circumstances.
The Indian Educational System and the Need for Student counselling
In India, students are subjected to stress and anxiety during their board examinations and graduation. Due to peer pressure, many even experience anxiety and trauma beyond high school and college. Indian kids are pressured by their parents to achieve better than their peers and are frequently compared, which causes them to become depressed.
The Indian education system is competitive, relying entirely on quantitative learning, extended class hours, and a broad curriculum.
The country's educational system focuses on quantity rather than quality; it is textbook-focused, and it does not aim to improve pupils. Instead, it focuses on making them crammers be labelled better. The existing educational system makes little attempt to foster student creativity.
Many lives have been lost due to the pressure to be well-behaved and perfect; therefore, all parents and instructors must know and comprehend the children's desires. Apart from that, the costly commercialized education system has significantly contributed to student stress and depression. Let's reform education so that pupils have a stress-free experience in school.
The Teacher's Role in Student counselling
Is it possible for a teacher to take on the role of a counsellor? Why not, after all? For starters, a teacher must understand the importance of counselling for students before they start teaching.
Only the teachers have the power to shape the lives of their students. In this context, their function is critical since they have a greater understanding of a student's strengths and weaknesses, which may assist them in identifying potential personality changes.
Teachers are unique. They have a constructive attitude and are willing to listen to their students' difficulties. The finest instructors can take on the role of a counsellor to help students develop their complete personalities. They can assist them in initiating talks and allowing children to express their concerns and worries. For pupils, a teacher's job as a counsellor or providing direction is far more critical.
How can teachers serve as student counsellors?
1) Establish a rapport:
You can establish a friendly relationship with your students by making them feel at ease and then conversing. Teachers should assure pupils that they are speaking with someone trustworthy who can readily resolve their problems.
2) Allow students to express themselves:
Teachers should develop students' self-confidence to share their worries and concerns in front of them. A teacher should listen to a student's challenges and issues and help him overcome them by providing appropriate solutions.
3) Maintain confidentiality:
A teacher must be someone a student can trust. Students may rely on you. You'll gain credibility if you keep the information on a certain pupil discreet. When a student gains trust in their teacher, they will come forward with their problems.
4) Consistency in emotions:
As a counsellor, you must maintain emotional consistency in both your sentiments and ideas. Whether the instructor is in a good or bad mood, they should constantly aid the pupils who approach them.
5) Learn to be non-judgmental:
A teacher should empathize with the student and be concerned about their well-being without being judgmental or too opinionated. Let the student feel heard and understood.
To sum up, we can better appreciate the importance of counselling for students in today's school, not only in terms of education but also in a child's overall personality.
If a youngster is experiencing a problem and cannot convey their feelings to parents or friends, they can open up to the counsellors, who should always be willing to assist them.
In India, both parents and children value academic achievement, and engineering and medicine remain the most preferred job possibilities. However, they must understand that a career may only be enjoyable and successful if it is aligned with the interests of an individual. All they have to do now is select the appropriate educational stream and make the right decisions. The advantages can be unwrapped by meeting with a counsellor.
Teachmint is the leading ed-infra provider helping educational institutions improve their efficiency. With our offerings like LMS, attendance management, fee management system, and more, institutes can boost their productivity multifold.