Teaching Learning Material (TLM) refers to the instructional material used by teachers to enhance their teaching and make the learning process more effective and comprehensive for their students. Teaching Learning Material is also referred to as instruction material and teaching aids that make learning fun.
In contemporary times, the focus of education has shifted from teacher-centered learning to student-centered learning. Students are now allowed to learn at their own pace with the help of several modules, online and offline, to make the most of education. To enhance a student’s ability to learn independently and sharply, Teaching Learning Material becomes crucial.
In the age of digitalization, these study materials are readily accessible by students and teachers. One needs to use them efficiently to convert them into assets.
Read on to know the types of resources available and the best ways to implement them in the teaching process.
Different Kinds of Teaching Learning Material
There are multiple kinds of Teaching Learning Material based on the subject matter, the age group, and the suitable approach. These are the various instruction materials commonly used by teachers:
- Visual Material: These include blackboards, flashcards, printed textbooks, presentations, graphs, etc. Using these tools reduces the monotony of learning and improves the retention power of most students.
- Audio Material: The audio aids include CDs, radio, and tape recorders. This resource helps in delivering information more effectively. At the same time, these tools help in enhancing the listening and concentration abilities of students.
- Audiovisual Material: The audiovisual method works best to teach children in fun-filled ways. It includes films, documentaries, videos, and virtual classrooms. Audiovisual aids are usually used alongside traditional learning methods for enhanced clarity and added interest.
- Computer-assisted Material: E-books, blogs, podcasts, quizzes, and smart classes all fall under the category of computer-assisted aid. This study material promotes the culture of independent learning by eliminating physical assistance needed from teachers and parents.
Teaching Learning Material can be bought and sold by students and teachers, and hence, they are easily accessible. With these multiple options available, teachers and students can decide which material works best for the subject matter at hand. A combination of these materials is often used for learning and then practicing.
Benefits of Teaching Learning Material
There are several advantages of using Teaching Learning Material while conducting a class, some of which are listed below:
- Simplifies learning: Learning with a teaching aid provides students with ample material on a subject matter in order to understand it in depth. The same concept can be taught using multiple approaches with these resources, ultimately simplifying learning for students.
- Promotes creativity and fun-filled learning: Children get drawn to visual images, and hence, they can learn better with a visual approach. Along with enhancing their retention capabilities, it also promotes creativity because children learn in their own way and respond accordingly.
- Encourages self-learning: Another excellent benefit of using teaching aids is that it promotes self-learning. Students are provided with multiple resources to engage with and comprehend things on their own. Further, online quizzes and videos eliminate the need for instructors and allow students to practice and learn new things independently.
- Enhanced teacher-student relationship: Using multiple mediums for learning provides scope for teachers and learners to interact and engage. This, in turn, helps in developing an amicable relationship between the two parties and creating a better learning environment.
With the myriad advantages of using teaching aid in the learning process, TLM has become an active choice for all contemporary instructors. However, there are some characteristics of good Teaching Learning Materials that make them the most effective for learners. These include:
- The material used should be engaging for learners, especially for kindergarten and primary school children. Therefore, making the visuals colorful and adding graphics are a must to engage young learners.
- The learning material and resources should be readily available for students. Students must have access and permission to use the material in the way they deem best. It will ensure that these resources are used in the best way possible and for a long time.
- Avoid excessive utilization of the same form of material. It will make learning monotonous for students, eventually denting their concentration and retention. A blend of all the types of aids keeps students' interest intact and leaves scope for creativity.
- Provide free access to all resources to students even after a particular model is outdated. It helps in brushing up on concepts even at a later stage. They can use these modules to enhance their understanding and relate these concepts to their new lessons.
Further, it is of paramount importance for teachers to understand which teaching learning aid works best for their students. Every student has a unique way of understanding concepts. While some learn better with a visual approach, others like to practice with online quizzes. Therefore, to personalize the learning process and make it truly effective, understanding learning from the perspective of a student is crucial. This is the only way to erase the gap between teaching and learning.
Teachmint is keen on changing the future of education with its advanced LMS and ERP tools. With more than 20+ modules for educational institutions like admission management, attendance management system, performance management, and more; it is changing the teaching-learning experience.