Anand Kumar is an Indian Mathematics teacher who is turning challenges into opportunities with his Super 30 program. This program coaches underprivileged students and prepares them for JEE exams. Anand Kumar started the Super 30 program in 2002 in Patna to promote quality education among underprivileged students and give them a concrete base for growth and development.
Anand Kumar’s hard work and dedication to academics are recognized by various national and international communities. That’s why his work was documented by Discovery Channel in 2018 when 422 out of 510 students made it to IITs. He was also invited by prestigious educational institutes like MIT and Harvard to discuss his Super 30 program for underprivileged children in Indian society.
Anand Kumar was born on 1st January 1973 in a middle-class family in Bihar. His father was a clerk in the postal department of India. His father could not afford to send him to private school, so Kumar had to join a government school. He was a brilliant student and developed a deep interest in Mathematics during his school days. Anand Kumar studied at Patna High School during his early childhood. During his graduation, he submitted papers on number theory which were published in an international journal, Mathematical Spectrum. It helped him secure admission to the University of Cambridge, but unfortunately, he could not take admission there. The untimely death of his father and poor financial condition did not allow him to join the University of Cambridge.
Anand Kumar is deeply fond of mathematics and wants to spread his knowledge for the betterment of society. To help other students understand the concepts of Mathematics, he started his coaching institute in 1992. Kumar named his institute, the Ramanujan School of Mathematics. To start his classes, he rented a place for Rs.300 per month. Anand Kumar started his tuition center with only two students, but within a year, his class size grew to over 30. In three years, he was imparting knowledge to more than 500 students.
Anand Kumar strongly believes that quality education is a basic right of every individual. This thought helped him start the Super 30 program in India. Once he met a student who could not afford quality education because of high fees, and it motivated Kumar to start his institute to serve such students. His institute conducts an entrance exam every year in May to select the best students for the Super 30 program. Many students appear in this exam, but Anand Kumar chooses only 30 students and takes care of their needs for a year. The selected students are usually from economically backward sections. He tutors and guides them in the preparation of the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) for admission to the Indian Institute of Technology (IITs).
- Anand Kumar’s interest in Mathematics forced him to push his boundaries. He used to take a six-hour-long train to reach Varanasi every weekend. It was because Patna University Library did not have foreign journals, and Kumar wanted to keep himself updated with new information on Mathematics.
- Anand Kumar’s Super 30 program was covered by Discovery Channel in 2009 in their one-hour-long documentary. Moreover, an article was published in The New York Times praising his work.
- He had been invited by various prestigious institutes like IITs, IIMs, Stanford University, and Tokyo University to talk about his Super 30 program.
- Anand Kumar secured himself a place in the Limca Book of Records for his program for underprivileged students.
- The Chief Minister of Bihar launched a biography on Anand Kumar in 2016.
- Bollywood released a movie named ‘Super 30’ about his life. His character is played by Hrithik Roshan.
Awards and Recognition
Anand Kumar was honored with Global Education Award in 2018 in Dubai. In addition, he received the “Education Excellence Award 2019” from the Foundation for Excellence in Education in California. Recently he had received Bharat Ganit Ratna Award 2022 from DASA India.
Anand Kumar is working continuously to make quality education accessible to all. His institute Super 30 promotes his idea by selecting the top 30 performers from economically weak backgrounds. The institute is managed by his brother. Moreover, Anand Kumar's mother takes care of accommodation and provides nutritious meals to students.
Suggested Read: Chanakya-Economist, Strategist, and Writer