An initiative of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (Ministry of Education, Govt of India), DIKSHA (Digital Infrastructure for Knowledge Sharing) is a national portal for school education. This platform provides tools for teachers in schools, student educators in teacher education institutes (TEIs), and teacher educators in TEIs.
DIKSHA portal is an initiative of the National Council for Education Research and Training (NCERT), Ministry of Education.
The landing page of DIKSHA Portal allows exploring DIKSHA's world of open digital content:
- NCERT - Explore content published by NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training).
- CBSE - Explore content published by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education).
- NIOS - Explore content published by NIOS (The National Institute of Open Schooling).
- States / UTs - Explore content published by 22+ states and UTs.
The dashboard features India Map for:
- Usage metrics – shows the usage pattern across the nation and all the states.
- Contribution metrics – Illustrates Diksha Content contribution data from across the nation; the number of contributors and total contributions.
- Course metrics – provides course data from across the nation – Courses, completed courses count, and the total number of enrolments.
Launch of DIKSHA Portal
Former Hon'ble Minister for HRD Shri Prakash Javadekar launched DIKSHA Portal in May 2017 as a National Teacher Platform Initiative.
DIKSHA was inaugurated by Hon'ble Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu on 5 September 2017. The portal has access to 35 States / UTs as well as CBSE and NCERT and billions of students and teachers.
DIKSHA logo depicts several central and state program images building blocks forming the DIKSHA infrastructure. These blocks include teacher and leadership training, lesson plans and teacher tools, explanation materials, practice and homework, question bank and exam preparation, assessment, quiz.
Beneficiaries of DIKSHA Portal
The DIKSHA portal serves as the national digital infrastructure for teachers. All teachers across the country are equipped with advanced digital technology. This educational portal has been launched by teachers and students across the country to be used for remote schooling. The DIKSHA Portal enables, accelerates, and enhances solutions in the field of teacher education. It helps teachers to learn and train themselves for which assessment resources will be available. It helps teachers create training materials, profiles, classroom resources, assessment assistance, news, and announcements, and connect with the teaching community.
Content for DIKSHA
Volunteers are keen on educational service and wish to be a part of the VidyaDaan movement.
- Get involved in providing students with high-quality learning material, irrespective of where they study.
- Help teachers deliver concepts in an easy and engaging manner.
- Help students learn better in and outside class.
On 22 April 2020, the Union Ministry of HRD launched VidyaDaan 2.0 on DIKSHA. The main purpose of the platform is to contribute to e-learning content and help learners continue their education anywhere and anytime in the country. The initiative is also supported by the National Council for Educational Research and Training in India (NCERT).
This national program appeals to the nation, especially individuals and organizations across the country, to contribute e-learning resources in the field of education to continue quality education for students across India.
Contribute in DIKSHA
A program of the nation, for the nation, and by the nation for managing continuity of quality learning.
After registering and nominating themselves, the contributors, especially teachers, can contribute different types of content.
Types of e-learning resources can be contributed:
- Explanation Videos
- Practice Questions
- Teaching Videos
- Experiential Learning Videos
- Lesson Plans
The target learners are any grade from 1 to 12 and for any subject as specified by the states/UTs under their respective projects.
The contributions could be individuals, teachers, educationists, subject experts, schools, government, non-government organizations, etc. They are open-licensed under the Creative Commons Licensing Framework. Also curated and recognized by the respective States / UTs and CBSE for useful contributions.
Advantages of DIKSHA Portal
- Find interactive and engaging teaching material that interests your class.
- Acquire best practices for explaining difficult concepts to students and also share with other teachers.
- Register for your professional development courses and get certificates and credit badges upon completion.
- Observe your teaching history throughout your career as a school teacher
- Perform digital assessments to evaluate the understanding of your students in the subject you are teaching.
- Receive an official announcement from the state authority.
For students and their parents
- Scan the QR code in your textbook to access relevant lessons on the platform.
- Search additional content on topics that are difficult to grasp.
- Review the lessons you learned in class.
- Practice problem solving and get instant feedback on whether the answer is correct.
True to its tagline, "A program of the nation, for the nation and by the nation to ensure continuity of quality of education," DIKSHA serves the purpose of reaching to all aspirants seeking shiksha and connecting with gurus through the virtual pathshala.
You can download the DIKSHA app and scan QR codes in your textbooks for easy access to all your lessons.
The DIKSHA platform engages teachers, students, and parents with educational materials related to the prescribed school curriculum. Teachers have access to aids such as lesson plans, worksheets, and activities to create an enjoyable classroom experience. Students understand concepts, improve lessons, and practice exercises. Parents can follow class activities and eliminate doubts outside of school hours.
The DIKSHA platform offers engaging learning material relevant to the prescribed school curriculum to teachers, students, and parents.
- Explore interactive material created by teachers.
- Avail of the best Indian content creators for teachers and students in every territory of India.
- You can access additional learning material associated with the topic just with scanned QR codes from textbooks.
- You can bookmark favorite content and share it to consume offline.
- Get the relevant assessment material taught in the school classroom.
- You have the choice to access the app in your language. Besides English, you have the choice to explore the portal in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Kannada, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Urdu, and additional Indian language support apps are being developed.
- The app supports multiple content formats like Video, PDF, HTML, ePub, H5P, Quizzes. Also, additional interactive media is being developed.
Getting the App
- Install DIKSHA App – search DIKSHA NCTE on your Google Play Store and install after granting requisite permissions and setting your location.
- Register on DIKSHA App through your existing Google account and furnish personal details followed by confirming through OTP.
- Select Display Language for DIKSHA Mobile App. After you log in the first time, you can set the preferred display language for your app.
- Select a User Profile – while browsing the DIKSHA mobile app as an anonymous user, continue as a student or a teacher. The app displays curated content based on the selected user profile.
In the context of COVID-19 related disruption of schooling, DIKSHA makes it possible for all states/UTs to enable learning/education at home through innovative state programs, hence leapfrogging the use of technology for the benefit of teachers and learners across India.
Besides the standard desktop version, the DIKSHA portal is also made available through a mobile application to reach every node of the digital world.