CABE, i.e. The Central Advisory Board of Education is considered one of the most vital advisory bodies in education in India. It has been operational since the pre-independence era, when it was first established in 1920. It is also the apex body that gives advice and recommendations to our country’s state and central governments. Some key objectives of CABE - Central Advisory Board of Education are explained below:
- Providing recommendations and ideas to all the educational bodies of India for designing the syllabus
- Providing a platform for the central and state governments to express their opinions and ideas for enhancing the quality of education in India
- Guiding the central and state governments in resolving any query or issue related to education
- Appointing different committees to recommend different topics and issues related to education
- Asking suggestions, reviews, and details from different educational institutes, including government and non-government institutions and departments, to resolve any issues about education in the country
In the realm of education governance and policy, the Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) stands as a significant institution, shaping the educational landscape of India. As an advisory body, CABE plays a pivotal role in steering educational policies, initiatives, and reforms. Let's delve into a brief introduction to CABE, its full form, and its impactful role in the realm of education.
CABE: Unveiling the Acronym
The acronym "CABE" stands for the "Central Advisory Board of Education." Established in 1920, CABE operates under the aegis of the Ministry of Education (formerly known as the Ministry of Human Resource Development) in India. Comprising eminent educationists, administrators, and policymakers, CABE full form in education serves as a platform for deliberation, discussion, and recommendation of policies related to the education sector.
The Role of CABE in Education
CABE's role in education is instrumental in influencing educational policies, fostering collaboration, and promoting the overall development of the education system in India. Some of the significant roles that CABE plays include:
Policy Formulation and Recommendation: CABE serves as a forum where state and central representatives come together to discuss and formulate educational policies. The board provides valuable recommendations to enhance the quality of education, aligning it with the changing needs of society and the demands of the modern world.
Collaboration and Coordination:
CABE acts as a bridge between the central and state governments, facilitating collaboration and coordination in the implementation of educational initiatives. It fosters a unified approach to educational development across different regions of the country.
Guidance on Reforms: The board provides guidance on reforms and innovative practices in the education sector. By staying updated on emerging trends and global best practices, CABE contributes to the continuous improvement of the Indian education system.
Addressing Challenges: CABE addresses challenges and issues faced by the education sector. It discusses matters such as quality improvement, teacher training, curriculum development, and access to education, aiming to find sustainable solutions.
Promotion of Inclusivity: CABE advocates for inclusive education, ensuring that education reaches all segments of society, regardless of socio-economic status, gender, or geographical location.
History of CABE - Central Advisory Board of Education
The Central Advisory Board of Education was founded in 1920 upon the recommendation of the Calcutta University Commission. The recommendation was to constitute an educational body that redefines the educational policies and develops ideas to set up educational institutes within the country and in abroad locations. However, it was dissolved in 1923 for economic reasons, but was reconstituted in 1935 and has been operational since then. It was decided that CABE would organize meetings every year, but if you check the records, you will notice that there haven’t been any meetings in some years. You will easily find CABE’s annual meetings proceedings on various online educational platforms.
Why was CABE formed?
CABE - Central Advisory Board of Education was constituted upon the recommendation of Calcutta University. Calcutta University had been burdened due to the country’s responsibility of managing schools and higher education. As a result, the educational system was not running smoothly, and they faced many issues.
Composition of CABE
CABE full form is Central Advisory Board of Education is headed by the Union Minister of Human Resource Development, appointed as the educational body’s Chairman.
The representatives are appointed by universities, central departments, planning commissions, civic society, and NGOs. The elected members of the Rajya and Lok Sabha are also this body.
The detailed structure of the organization is given below:
- Chairman - Union Minister of HRD
- Vice-Chairman - The Minister of the State for Human Resource Development
- Representatives of the central governments
- Representatives of the state governments and union territories
- One ruling minister who is in charge of education
Functions of CABE
To understand the functions of CABE full form, you can read the below points:
- CABE reviews the progress and development of education in India periodically. It gives recommendations for girls’ education and the rural educational system in India. It also works towards the univerzalisation of higher secondary education in the country.
- It advises on the incorporation of cultural activities into the curriculum.
- CABE gives financial advice for developing higher and technical education in the country.
- It identifies the areas where educational quality is not up to the mark and suggests the state and central government focus on these areas or provinces.
- CABE - Central Advisory Board of Education reviews and restructures how the state and the centre implement educational policies. It also guides agencies in implementing these policies and provides suggestions or recommendations if necessary.
- It gives ideas regarding how state, centre, and union territories can coordinate and help each other regarding educational matters.
- The Central Advisory Board of Education also passes resolutions regarding the modification of its structure and suggestions given by the department of higher education from time to time.
CABE full form in education has been revived from time to time to deal with the rising challenges and issues related to education in the country. The emerging realities of digital education and online programs, the condition of the educational system in India, rising unemployment, etc., are some major concerns for the country. The Central Advisory Board of Education has been working to restructure the policies according to the challenges and changing educational scenarios.
CABE also works to provide a free hand to educational institutes and prevent the avoidable intervention of the centre and the state. CABE committees have stated the importance of autonomy of higher education and consider it to be the key to helping them achieve their goals and objectives. The universities cannot be pressured from within and external forces like bureaucracy, political parties, and society. UGC and other educational bodies like CABE must formulate innovative strategies and policies to attain these objectives. CABE - Central Advisory Board of Education releases many reports repeatedly to restore the conviction of educational bodies like colleges, institutions, and universities. Therefore, these bodies must remain updated on their latest meetings and proceedings to include the necessary policies in their curriculum.
Teachmint helps schools envision a future where their students are equipped with 21st-century skills. With our advanced learning management system, you can improve the teaching-learning experience. Our offerings like education erp, admission management system, fee management system, and others conveniently digitize educational institutions.
In conclusion, the Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) plays a crucial role in shaping the educational landscape of India. Through its policy recommendations, collaborative efforts, and guidance on reforms, CABE contributes to the holistic development of the education sector. As India continues its journey towards educational excellence, CABE remains a key player in steering the course towards a brighter and more inclusive future for learners across the nation.
Suggested Read: 15 Must have Features in School ERP
Learn more about Teachmint plans here.