The NIPUN Bharat Scheme was introduced by the Union Minister for Education, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal, on July 5, 2021. The 'NIPUN' Bharat Mission stands for 'National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy' Bharat Mission. It was centrally sponsored by Samagra Shiksha Scheme. NIPUN Bharat Mission is set to achieve its target by the end of 2027. This strategy attempts to prepare the path for significant changes in the country's primary and secondary education institutions. This policy superseded the National Policy on Education (NPE) of 1986, which had been in existence for 34 years.
The initiative, NIPUN Bharat, was launched as a part of the National Educaion Policy (NEP) 2020. It addresses the education and training needs of children in the age group 3-9 years in various parts of India. It encourages students to pursue education and empowers parents and teachers to support the children in their quest for knowledge. The primary focus of the program is to enable every child to discover their potential and explore ways in which they can contribute to the country's growth and progress. It targets spreading literacy among the children and making it mandatory to teach educational values till third grade. The goals of the NIPUN Bharat Mission are created as levels from Bal Vatika to grade 3. The NCERT, international research and studies are the tools used to educate students. The beneficiaries of this project will be young kids aged between 3 to 9 years, which in general means students from preschool through third grade. Children in classes 4 and 5 who lack basic skills will also be given group assistance, tutoring, and supplementary learning resources to help them improve their educational competency. By 2026-27, NIPUN hopes to have met all of its goals through private and government-aided schools. This will aid in the general acquisition of foundational literacy and numeracy (FLN).
Implementation of this policy
· The Department of School Education and Literacy introduced NIPUN Bharat. Within the ambit of the government-sponsored Samagra Shiksha plan, an educational system will be set up at five tiers: the national, state, district, block, and school levels in all the states and union territories.· Three previous initiatives were merged into the Samagra Shiksha program: Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA), and Teacher Education (TE). The scheme aims to take up school education as a whole. It shall include within its scope all stages of schooling, from preschool through Class XII.
· This year (2022), about 25 lakh teachers from pre-primary through primary grades will receive Foundational Literacy and Numeracy training.· NISHTHA is an intensive training program aimed at "Improving Educational Quality Through Comprehensive Teacher Training."
Features of the NIPUN Mission
· The primary aim of this programme is to enhance literacy and numeracy in children in the age group of 3 to 9 years. It aims to implement the scheme via clear, measurable goals called 'Lakshya Soochi,' which loosely translates to 'a list of targets.'
· The chief goal is to ensure that all children attain basic numeracy and literacy by the time they pass out of grade three. This program has moved Lakshyas (or targets) from Bal Vatika to class three in order to raise awareness about this goal among parents, volunteers, and the community.
· Lakshyas are created using global research and studies by the Observer Research Foundation (ORF) as a reference. The NCERT also plans the syllabus. In all States and UTs, a five-tier implementation system is in place at the national, state, district, block, and school levels.
· Under the NISHTHA plan, the NIPUN scheme has formulated a comprehensive training program for teachers with a special focus on FLN (foundational literacy and numeracy).
· The NIPUN Bharat Mission strives to increase children's efficiency and learning abilities. After completing class three, a kid should be capable of reading at least 60 words per minute accurately from a comprehensive text.
Objectives of the Scheme
· Reduce dropouts by strengthening children's core skills. Vastly increase the number of pupils who successfully complete elementary, upper primary and secondary school. A multifold improvement in educational quality as a result of more accommodating and activity-based instruction.
· To make the sessions engaging and fascinating, use toy-based and distinctive pedagogies or experimental education. Creating a training program that focuses on developing intellectual and physical abilities, social and emotional skills, cognitive, numeracy, literacy, life skills, and other skills.
· To ensure enhancement of each child's overall growth, which will be reflected in statistics. To motivate individuals to attain high levels of learning in preparation for future demands pertaining to career and life decisions.
· To create fun, engaging evaluations like quizzes, games, and polls.
The Department of Education and Literacy will sponsor the NIPUN Bharat Mission. The plan would be a part of the Samagra Shiksha school education program. The NIPUN Bharat Mission will be highly beneficial to children's holistic intellectual development. Students can become adept at basic reading and numeracy in a timely manner because of this literacy mission. With enhanced skill levels, children will gain confidence to continue studying further and thereby reduce dropout rates. Children would be able to comprehend foundational concepts pertaining to numbers, basic measurements, and so on. Similarly, they would go on to become more confident readers with enhanced comprehension and writing abilities. These long-pending educational reforms are an essential step toward totally eradicating illiteracy in our country. This initiative must garner enough support to achieve its objectives.
Schools can use Teachmint Integrated School Platform for efficient implantation of NEP guidelines. With our advanced learning management system, you can improve the teaching-learning experience. Our offerings like education erp, admission management system, fee management system, and others conveniently digitize educational institutions.
Suggested Read: Importance of Parent Teacher Communication