Education and technology have risen to complement each other, and schools are moving on from the traditional learning methods. While the pandemic ensured that we are well acquainted with virtual and distance learning globally, many institutions are adopting the hybrid learning model in their education system.
A hybrid learning model is an approach that comprehensively works towards combining the virtual learning model and the traditional in-person classroom and offers the students the best of both worlds.
Here, we discuss hybrid learning, explore its potential, and its benefits for both teachers and students in the long run.
What is the Hybrid Learning Model?
Hybrid learning is a system of education where the students can either attend the classes face-to-face or be a part of the class from home. Virtual students and the students present in the classroom are taught simultaneously through video conferencing using different platforms and pre-recorded sessions.
The educators have to ensure that the hybrid learning model is customized according to the needs of the learners who are present both physically and online.
How is the hybrid learning model beneficial in the long run?
The hybrid learning aims at blending the in-person and online teaching methodology to ensure a single platform that benefits all students alike, giving them an option to choose their mode of attendance.
Some of the benefits that the hybrid learning model will offer in the long run are:
● Hybrid learning allows flexibility in teaching, learning, learning material engagement, and peer-instructor collaboration.
● The in-person part of this hybrid learning model is an excellent opportunity to help the students do some relationship building by having group activities, presentations, and discussions and applying the learning by taking these relationships online for a double success rate.
● Hybrid learning gives students the freedom to learn from their preferred location, repeat the lesson as many times as they like at their convenience, and have flexible interactions with their peers. It is best to choose an LMS that compliments your requirements.
● Hybrid learning enhances students’ creativity and discipline and enables the development of their critical thinking skills. It imparts a sense of responsibility and a sense of accomplishment.
Creation of a Hybrid Learning Environment
A hybrid learning model has many benefits, but before a school plans to adopt this learning methodology into its system, it is crucial to understand how hybrid learning can succeed.
Below are some points that an educational institution must keep in mind before deciding to create a hybrid learning system:
- Goal setting: It is important to set short-term and long-term goals for students and educators so applicable rules can be designed and expectations discussed. Backward planning will ensure that all the material, as well as assignments, follow the syllabus.
- Navigational map: The school should create a map in the form of a table, timeline, chart, or any other visual tool to keep track of the syllabus covered, activities done and the resources used. This will help the institution plan further on how they want to teach.
- Segregate the teaching methodology: The school must analyse which part of the syllabus has to be covered in person and which can be taught online. Further, they must identify the activities and techniques around both to have maximum participation. In-person classes can include group discussions, feedback sessions, team building activities, and online classes can consist of quizzes, visual content, and self-paced learning activities.
- Trial run: Before finalizing the plan, the teachers must work out the pros and cons by experimenting with a group of students or colleagues and obtain their feedback and learning outcomes. The school can then identify the glitches and rectify them accordingly before the launch.
How can a hybrid learning model help teachers?
A hybrid learning model may seem outrightly beneficial to students, but it also plays a significant role in aiding teachers.
- The teachers can deliver the course content smoothly as the system can be customized and remodeled as per their way of delivery and the requirements of the students.
- The teachers connect with their students effectively, communicate more openly, and help the students learn better in their chosen learning mode.
- The teachers can pre-plan their teaching method and keep changing and realigning according to the response they get. They are in a more powerful position with this experiential learning opportunity.
- The teachers are also at liberty to decide which learning platform and technique suits which topic the best and apply it to divide the class hours accordingly into offline and online modes. It allows teachers and students to work towards the area of improvement together and at the student’s pace.
A hybrid learning model has become the need of the hour, and the fact that it caters to both in-person and online teaching blends and enhances the learning opportunities. Many educational institutions are now exploring giving their students an option of attending class in their chosen mode of attendance.
The hybrid learning model is the inevitable future of the education system. Thus, it becomes imperative for educational institutions to welcome the trend. They need to be prepared and work towards making this model a smooth transition for themselves, students and parents.
Teachmint helps schools envision a future where their students are equipped with 21st-century skills. With our advanced learning management system, you can improve the teaching-learning experience. Our offerings like education erp, admission management system, fee management system, and others conveniently digitize educational organizations.
Suggested Read: How to Use Gamification to Motivate Learners?