“Teachers, I believe, are the most responsible and important members of society because their professional efforts affect the fate of the earth,” said Helen Caldicott. The importance of teachers cannot be overstated. They play multiple roles and affect the lives of numerous children. They work day and night tirelessly to make quality education accessible to all. Teachers are nothing less than superheroes.
To acknowledge the efforts of teachers and to honor their contributions, the Govt of India introduced the National Award to Teachers.
National Award to Teachers is given out to celebrate the unique contribution of some of the finest teachers in the country. The teachers who commit themselves to the betterment of education and strive every day to enhance the lives of students need to be rewarded. The National Teacher Award is not just an appreciation, it is an encouragement and an inspiration to all the teachers out there. It was established in the year 1958. Every year, this is awarded to the selected teachers by the honorable President of India.
The registration for the National Teacher Award 2021 has started. The ministry of education has opened an online portal for registrations. Let us take a look at the eligibility criteria for the National Teacher Award.
National Teacher Award- Eligibility Criteria
The evaluation is done based on two major criteria;
Objective Criteria- The objective criteria encompass a wide variety of things like how punctual the teacher is, whether they are regular to the classes, research paper publication, the efforts they have taken to increase the student count in the school, and likewise.
Criteria based on Performance- This evaluates the teaching methodologies adopted by the teacher, their creativity, how well they have organized extracurricular activities, their role in spreading social awareness and mobilizing activities, and likewise.
Teachers and principals/ heads who are working in primary, middle, high school, or higher secondary schools are eligible. The schools must fall under the below-mentioned categories:
- The schools must run by either the State Govt./UTs Administration. The schools may also be run by the local bodies, or it can be an aided institution.
- Teachers who are working in Central Govt. Schools like Kendriya Vidyalayas, Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas, Sainik Schools run by the Ministry of Defence, Schools run by Atomic Energy Education Society, and Eklavya Model Residential Schools run by Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Schools and institutions that are affiliated with the Central Board of Secondary Education.
- Schools affiliated with CISE
- Retired teachers are not eligible for the award. However, if their term is ending after April 30th, they can register for the award.
- Individuals who are in the position of educational administrators, inspectors of education, and working in training Institutes are not considered eligible.
- The teachers who are registering, must not have conducted any tuition classes.
- Contractual and part-time teachers are not eligible. Only full-time teachers are taken into consideration.
How to Register?
- Visit the official website of the National award for teachers, here is the link https://nationalawardstoteachers.education.gov.in/.
- Click on the tab Login/ Registration
- Enter the details that they are asking for.
- Every applicant is required to submit a portfolio of the work that they have done and the achievements that they have.
The Ministry of Education coordinates with the district and state authorities to make an informed decision. The awards are given to deserving, qualified candidates after serious contemplation and observation.
The National Teacher Awards are given out on September 5th, since it is celebrated as Teacher’s Day. This is a great opportunity for teachers and a motivation to strive for excellence. By acknowledging the achievements and efforts of teachers, this award aims to honor the true heroes.
If you think you are eligible for the same, head on to the link given above and nominate yourself for the prestigious national teacher award today.