A well rounded teacher needs to be proficient at many things. They must possess a vast knowledge about their domain or subject. Also, their communication skills, classroom management, analysis skills when it comes to understanding the needs of the students should be top notch. They must also hold a strong grip over different methods of teaching and instructional techniques. Overall, they must be adept at understanding the nature of teaching and its implication on the student development.
The most essential element in teaching is the nature of teaching itself. While focussing on the curriculum, a teacher should also try to imbibe positive values and ethics in the students. Initially, the methods of teaching mainly revolved around delivering meaningful notes around a topic in a typical classroom setting. However, the times have changed now and students are willing to learn from their teachers who live thousands of miles away from them. The latest technologies like video conferencing tools, teaching apps, and WIFI have made remote teaching possible. However, irrespective of the methods of teaching a teacher is adept at, the primary focus remains the same i.e. the students.
Value of Professionalism in Teaching
Being a professional helps in every field and teaching is not an exception to this. A professional teacher delivers instructions in an amicable way to reverberate through the minds of the students. The teacher gains knowledge through preparation and by drawing through the experience that they gain while delivering the lectures. The nature of teaching is such that patience, determination, and empathy play a pivotal role in a teacher’s career. A professional teacher analyses the requirements of the students and plans to fulfil the same through relentless efforts. Evaluating the progress of students through exams, mock exams, tests, quizzes, etc. is part of their profession.
A true teacher knows how to engage the students and find ways to stimulate their interest level. The methods of teaching can be different but the ultimate goal is to make a student aware and knowledgeable. Today, students can learn on their own by watching video tutorials and other online materials. However, the role of a teacher is irreplaceable and in many ways it decides the future of students.
Utilising different approaches
A teacher might adopt different approaches depending upon the motivation, knowledge level, behaviour, and many other criteria. For example, they must be well-versed in the behavioural approach. It means that they must be skilled at observing the behaviour of the students and different types of events that can occur in a classroom. Based on their observation, they must be skilled at responding to a particular event or behaviour. A teacher should be an expert in understanding the psyche of the students.
Neuroscience determines that different physiological systems affect the nature of teaching. Society, environment, one’s physical being, and relationship with the cognitive and physical world play an important role in the character development. An experienced teacher knows how to handle students with different expectations, backgrounds, and aspirations. They know about the various factors that can motivate or demotivate a student. Therefore, their nature of teaching includes the finer details that can influence the physiological systems of the students positively.
The education system plays a huge role in determining the methods of teaching. Being a part of the system, the teachers need to adhere to the guidelines and policies laid down by the system. The students and teachers are at the centre of things whereas cultural norms, recommendations of educational organisations, and educational laws are the things that influence an education system. The professional organisations try to improve the nature and methods of teaching by setting the teaching standards. As a larger ecosystem, the society must create a healthy environment for developing the education system. They must trust and confide with the experience of the teachers and let them shape the future of students.
Once we provide a perfect system to the teachers, they can focus on the principles that govern their nature of teaching. However, instead of following the traditional association of teacher and students, we must try to make students partners in the learning process. The roles of both students and teachers should be defined on the basis of the expected outcomes. A well-rounded teacher will ensure these things irrespective of the mode of teaching:
- Generating curiosity about a subject or topic before delivering lengthy lectures.
- Understanding the present skills of students and working on them before introducing a high-level concept.
- Developing a problem-solving tendency among students by introducing the benefits of analytical thinking.
- Giving plenty of choices to students when it comes to selecting learning modes, topics, and content type. For example, giving a choice to the students to study from a story, practical experience, or theoretical lecture will only help them in understanding a concept deeply.
- A professional teacher will accept diversity in terms of student background, thinking, opinion, and cultures. In fact, they will utilise the diversity to create a better learning experience for all the students.
- Instead of teaching concepts in a rudimentary or basic way, the teachers must excel at innovative teaching methods. For example, a history class can be conducted inside a historical monument like a fort once in a while. It will not spike up the interest level of the students but the teachers will also have an opportunity to gauge how their students respond to learning in different environments. Likewise, botanical gardens can be used to provide deeper insights into concepts.
- While focusing on completing the curriculum in the stipulated time, the teachers should also try to imbibe some values in their students. Honesty, ethical behaviour, dedication, hard work, creativity, etc. can be some of these values. However, the value education sessions should not affect the expected learning outcomes.
- A dedicated teacher should take feedback from the students after every lecture. They must promote a sense of self-learning in the students which can help them attain their life and career goals.
The nature of teaching can impact the academic performance of students and it is pivotal for teachers to alter their teaching methods according to the students.
Teachmint is the leading ed-infra provider helping educational institutions improve their efficiency. With our offerings like LMS, attendance management, fee management system, and more, institutes can boost their productivity multifold.