Board of Secondary Education (BSE), Odisha conducts an eligibility examination for Senior Secondary Teachers annually popularly known as OSSTET. This examination aims to shortlist and select candidates who plan to become teachers of classes IX-XII in Government/Private aided/Private unaided schools in Odisha. This examination is conducted to certify teachers for Academic Subjects and Physical Education which are further classified into two categories wherein category 1 caters to Academic subjects teachers and Category II for Physical Education teachers.
Below is a list of necessary details that you may want to be thorough with before applying for OSSTET:
The Board of Secondary Education has set certain eligibility criteria for candidates to appear for OSSTET, Qualifying which an applicant becomes eligible to fill a candidature for the exam.
The candidate should be a citizen of India.
The minimum required qualification for appearing in OSSTET varies depending on the category an individual is applying for.
Category-I for Education Teachers
A candidate should meet one of the below-mentioned minimum qualification categories to sit for the examination:
- TGT Arts
- A candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in either arts or commerce in any two subjects (Hindi, English, Odia, Sanskrit, History, Political Science, Geography, Economics, Indian Economy, Indian History, Indian Political Science or Indian Geography).
- A candidate must have a minimum of 50% in a 4-years integrated B.A B.Ed., degree from an NCTE recognized institution any two of the subjects (Hindi, English, Odia, Sanskrit, History, Political Science, Geography, Economics, Indian Economy, Indian History, Indian Political Science or Indian Geography) as their elective/optional/honors/pass course.
2.TGT Science - (CBZ) or (PCM)
- A candidate must have a minimum of 50% in a bachelor’s degree in science from an NCTE recognised institution with either of these subjects (CBZ) or (PCM) as their elective/optional/honors/pass course.
- A candidate should hold a degree of 4-years integrated course in B.Sc B.Ed from any NCTE recognised organisation in (CBZ) or (PCM) as their elective/optional/honors/pass subject.
3.Classical Teacher Urdu
- A candidate should have secured a minimum of 50% marks in B.A in Persian Language Or Alim, with B.Ed from a certified organisation.
4. Hindi Teacher
- The candidate should have B.A degree with a minimum of 50% marks in any one of the subjects: Snataka, from Hindi Shiksha Samiti, Odisha, Cuttack; Shastri Hindi from Odisha Rastrabhasa Parisad, Puri; Rastrabhasa Ratna from Rastrabhasa Prachar Samiti, Wardha.
5.Classical Teacher - Sanskrit
- A candidate should have a B.A degree with a minimum of 50% in/with Sanskrit as their elective/optional/honors/pass subject along with Shiksha Shastri (Sanskrit) from a certified organiation.
6.Classical Teacher – Telugu
- A candidate must possess a B.A degree with a minimum of 50% in Telugu with B.Ed degree.
Category-II for Physical Education Teachers
- Candidates must have completed their Senior Secondary Education with at least 50% from a recognized institution along with B.PEd/M.PEd/C.PEd from a certified university or board.
How to Apply?
Eligible candidates can apply for OSSTET by going to the official website of the Board of Senior Education, Odisha http://www.bseodisha.ac.in/. A sum of INR 500 per paper is charged as a registration fee for the examination. The fee is collected through online mode. After the successful submission of the form and fees, an online admit card is generated that has to be downloaded by the applicant to carry during the examination.
If any applicant faces any problems and wishes to contact the organization, multiple contact details are provided on their site working during set hours to assist the applicants.
How to Check OSSTET Results 2021
Step 1: Visit the official site of BSE Odisha (bseodisha.ac.in.)
Step 2: Click on OSSTET result 2021 link flashing on the home page.
Step 3: Enter the login details and click on submit.
Step 4: The result will be displayed on the screen.
Step 5: Check the result and download it.
The Pattern of the Examination
The examination is conducted into two parts, Paper I and II that is set as per the category for which an individual is applying. The duration of the paper is for 2 hours and 30 minutes. The questionnaire is divided into four sections where section 3 is subject-specific.
Syllabus for the Examination
- Language I - Odia (compulsory for both the categories)
- Language II - English (compulsory both the categories)
- Pedagogy, Child development, Evaluation and School Management’
- For TGT (Science or Arts) candidates, questions will be specific to their opted subjects and will be in English.
- For Classical Language Teachers, the questions will be in respect to their opted language and will be in the same language.
- For Physical Education Teachers the questions will be based on their C.P.Ed course and will be in English.
How to Prepare?
You can prepare for this exam either through multiple online sources or you can study from specific books which have relevant content related to the syllabus. Below is a list of some of the books that you may refer to while studying:
- TBW OSSTET Guide by TBW Editorial Board
- OSSTET Paper 1 Guide Book by SK Publication
- OSSTET TGT by icare experts.
- An ultimate guide to teaching aptitude by SK Editorial Board
To prepare well for any exam, one should always follow a routine or schedule. Similarly, when studying for OSSTET you should plan a routine that you will follow to complete the course in time and start as early as possible. Once you are done with the syllabus practice multiple previous years' questions to stay in touch with the workings of the examination.
Teachmint is keen on changing the future of education with its advanced LMS and ERP tools. With more than 20+ modules for educational institutions like admission management, attendance management system, performance management, and more; it is changing the teaching-learning experience.