15 August 1947, the date any Indian can hardly forget, the day of freedom, the day that bought hope, the day that made India independent seventy-four (74) years ago is celebrated with the same hope, enthusiasm, happiness, and patriotism.
Independence Day, also known as स्वतंत्रता दिवस is a proud day for each Indian and on 15th August 2021, India would mark its 75th year of being independent. The lockdown has affected each and every aspect of our lives and not to mention the changes that it has brought in the educational world. 85% of children born in India know about the significance and importance of Independence day (स्वतंत्रता दिवस) from the celebrations in their school every year. The ( स्वतंत्रता दिवस) Independence Day activities play an integral part in the learning and understanding of the children about the history and culture of their country. But since the breakdown of covid 19 has changed the way everything used to function and the traditional schools have shifted to the online mode, it has become difficult for the teachers and the students to organize ( स्वतंत्रता दिवस) Independence day activities. Don't worry, we have got you all covered, we have bought some amazing ( स्वतंत्रता दिवस) Independence day activities that you can organize online and celebrate ( स्वतंत्रता दिवस) Independence day.
6 Amazing ( स्वतंत्रता दिवस) Independence Day Activities-
- Independence Day Flag- Independence Day celebrations would be incomplete without the hoisting of the Independence Day flag as waving the Independence day flag at the Red Fort marked India's Independence 75 years ago. It is not possible for each and every student to visit their school for the flag hoisting but the teachers can visit the school and add all the students on a live video call and then hoist the flag. This way the students won't miss the hoisting of the Independence Day Flag.
- Thank the Covid Warriors- The past two years have been extremely difficult for India as the country was fighting a pandemic. In such time the frontline workers tried their level best to protect their country and people. Getting goosebumps is pretty normal while thinking about the sacrifices the covid warriors and frontline workers made for us. No amount of gratitude would ever be enough to thank them for what they did for us. Let us not forget to remember and appreciate the sacrifices of these warriors.
- Patriotic Costume Competition- An interesting and fun Independence day activity could be organizing a patriotic costume competition wherein the students could dress as different freedom fighters, patriots, or props related to Independence day. The teachers could ask for the pictures/videos of the students once they get dressed up and then those visuals can be shared via screen share over the video call. In order to encourage and boost up the morale of the students, the winners, runners-ups, as well as the participants can be given e-certificates or prizes.
- Poster Making Competition- The teachers can organize online poster-making competitions wherein the students can make posters over some set themes based on patriotism. Later, the pictures of these posters can be uploaded on the online teaching platform of the particular school. And the winners of the competition can be decided through options like 'collective voting' or 'jury decision'. This activity can be really fun if the participants take part energetically.
- Independence Day Quiz- The teachers or student groups can organize quiz competitions wherein interesting questions related to the history of India or questions related to Independence day can be framed. These interesting quiz questions can further be asked to the students. One or two teachers can take responsibility for one particular class and then the class-wise winners can be declared. Teachers can also set fun factors like raising hands to answer first and a time limit for answering each question in order to make it interesting.
- Online Dance Competition- “Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. […] Dance when you’re perfectly free”-Jalaluddin Rumi. Dance has always been the way best way of expressing oneself for many years, even at the time of Independence, India danced, so there is no better way to celebrate the day than to dance. The students can send their dance videos to the teachers beforehand only, the teachers can then play them over the video interaction. It can be organized as an inter-class competition, or simply as a fun activity.
Apart from these activities, the teachers and students can also decide upon a color theme that they all will follow on the video interaction. The students can prepare Independence day speeches, the teachers can organize online movie events for the children wherein everyone watches a movie together, etc. Do not let the pandemic dull your spirit and love for the country, and as Indians have always believed 'we shall overcome', Happy Independence Day.