What is D.ed and D.ed Full Form?
The first question that comes to anyone’s mind as soon as they hear about D.ed is D.ed full form. D.ed stands for Diploma in Education. D.ed or Diploma in Education is a teacher training program. It is a certificate-level program that helps teachers who aspire to become government teachers in gaining the relevant skills. D.ed is a certificate course that is specially designed for elementary-level teachers. Any individual willing to learn and understand the basic and advanced concepts of teaching and schooling should definitely consider pursuing the D.ed course. Candidates who clear D.ed will be eligible to become nursery class teachers. It is a two-year undergraduate-level course and it is considered equivalent to B.ed.
What is D.ed Eligibility?
Just like every other teacher training course, D.ed also has certain eligibility criteria that the candidates have to meet, in order to apply for admission in various institutions. The eligibility criteria for the same is-
- The Candidates must have passed class twelfth with the minimum passing marks in any stream from a recognized board.
- The candidates must have scored a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate in the twelfth standard.
- These eligibility criteria may differ from institute to institute as it will totally depend on the institute the candidate is applying for.
What is D.ed Syllabus?
D.ed course is divided into four parts known as four semesters respectively. Each semester requires an understanding of different subjects. Let’s understand the format and structure of the D.ed syllabus in detail.
Semester 1- Semester one of D.ed requires the understanding of the below subjects by the candidate such as- Education in Emerging Indian Society, Child Development and Learning, Educational Psychology, Curriculum and Pedagogy, Methods of Teaching, Microteaching: 7 Skills, Literature, Regional Language
Semester 2- Semester two of D.ed requires a deep understanding of various subjects like- Social science teaching, General Science Education, Understanding language and early literacy, English language teaching, Teacher Identity, and School Culture, Cognition, Learning, and the Socio-Cultural Context, School Culture, Leadership, and Change.
Semester 3- A deep and clear understanding of a few subjects would be enough for the candidates to quality the third semester of D.ed, those subjects are- Pedagogy of Environmental Science, Pedagogy of English Language, Environmental Science Teaching, Secondary Education: Issues & Problems, Mathematics Teaching, Art Education, Physical Education.
Semester 4- The fourth semester of D.ed would be easier for the candidates if they understand these subjects well- Information & Communication Technology, Children's Physical and Emotional Health, School Health and Education, Creative Drama, Fine Arts, and Education, Work and Education, School Internship.
What are the skill sets required for pursuing the D.ed course?
Since teaching is the only profession that creates all the other professions, being a teacher comes with a lot of responsibilities. Let us learn a few qualities that might act as a perk for the teaching aspirants-
- Communication Skills- Communication is the only way of transferring knowledge from one person to another. If the teachers want to share their knowledge with the students, it is very important for them to possess good communication skills. The combination of good communication skills and D.ed can definitely promise a highly skilled and qualified teacher.
- Management Skills- A classroom is all about management and a teacher is no less than a manager handling multiple minds. In such surroundings, being calm and patient are two non-negotiable skills. A teacher or teaching aspirant should definitely have good management skills.
- Learning Skills- Teachers should never stop learning and must always try to keep themselves updated. Since the world keeps evolving, it becomes very important for the teachers to stay updated and help the students acquire correct knowledge. If a candidate possesses this quality, they should definitely consider pursuing the D.ed course.
What is the D.ed Course Fees?
D.ed is one of the most demanded courses in India, and the two-year certificate program charges a minimal amount from the candidates. The D.ed course fees range somewhere between INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000. If compared to the other Teacher Training Courses, D.ed course can not be called a very expensive course.
There are many more teaching courses and exams for the teaching aspirants, know more about all the teaching exams here.