The rapidly advancing social, environmental, and technological factors directly impact the mindset and perspectives of students. Children from different backgrounds, personalities, and perspectives come together to learn and grow in a classroom. Thus, a teacher's responsibility increases to include the moral and educational upbringing of students. By leveraging the benefits offered by many classroom teaching methods, you can meet the individual needs of your students. This fulfillment encourages them to live up to their educational potentials.
Methods of Classroom Teaching
Like new teachers, even the experienced ones can find it difficult to discover the best teaching method that works for their students. As every student is unique, finding a “one size fits all” solution becomes a demanding task.
A teacher can create a positive impact on the life of students by genuinely taking an interest in why students do the things they do. Depending on such analysis, it becomes easy to select the right teaching methodology.
Listed below are the eight well-known methods of classroom teaching. Browse these to find the best fit for your lesson and the type of students in your classroom.
- Constructivist: The constructivist method, also known as the student-centered approach, focuses only on the students. Traditionally, students sit quietly facing the teacher to learn a new topic. That is not the case with the constructivist method of teaching. Here, the students sit in small groups, and they have the freedom to move inside the classroom to learn effectively. They can also choose the topics they want the teacher to teach.
As this approach seems uncoordinated and mismanaged, teachers must lay strong frameworks for such classes. You must teach children that freedom comes with a sense of responsibility. This method also teaches children to seek internal inspiration and encouragement for learning. You will teach them to become life-long learners while motivating them to build self-confidence.
- Flipped Classroom: The flipped classroom method presents a fresh and unique teaching method. Teachers encourage students to complete their homework by explaining how homework is merely preparation for the next class. In this method, teachers refrain from marking questions for extra practice. Instead, they ask students to watch or read content relating to the topics covered in the coming class.
In this manner, students spend their time understanding and remembering their concepts while completing homework instead of drowning in the burden of extra work. By using this method, teachers allow the students to better understand the topics covered in the classroom. They are encouraged to reach higher levels of learning over time.
- Presentation: Presentations are the tools that support a classroom teacher with the outline of the course content. This method requires substantial efforts from the teacher’s end for making the method highly effective. By only using the presentations without an impactful tone of speech, you could be noticing sleepy faces in the classroom.
You can present your lesson to the class in a lecture format. Here, the teacher uses every section's outlines in each slide with pictures to explain the concept. The main focus is on the verbal impact of the teacher. Another method uses a combination of lecture and forum. This is where you encourage students to ask questions and give solutions to a problem relating to the concept they just learned.
- Reading: By inspiring students to read, teachers must make them understand the importance of this habit. Students must realize that reading is one of the most effective ways to get information on any topic. If you feel that the students lack knowledge on a particular topic during classroom discussion, ask them to read online or offline materials on the topic. You can also motivate them to critique the pieces they read as per requirement. This will prepare your students to be ready with information in case of any discussion in the classroom.
- Play and act: Out of all the classroom learning methods, teachers use this one for subjects like language and social studies. By creating small groups, you encourage students to behave exactly like the assigned character. This allows them to reflect deeply on the actions and choices of the character. Also, the analytical side of their brain is developed with this activity, and they learn to communicate verbally.
Depending on time availability, you can randomly ask students to role-play without any rehearsal. Ask them to respond dramatically to any situation relating to the topic of study. Similarly, you can also ask them to create a short film by dividing responsibilities like direction, acting, etc.
- Group learning: Group learning is considered one of the best classroom teaching methods. It encourages students to communicate with their peers orally and gives them a chance to leverage their knowledge during discussions. With the help of group learning activities, you also can teach respectful communication skills to grow young minds.
Start a group discussion by creating groups of three to five people. Write the open topic of discussion on the main board of the classroom and allow the students to speak their minds on the topic. You must act like a moderator for such debates to control the discussion when it goes off-tangent.
Every teacher understands that at the end of a class, a student must leave the classroom with a clear understanding of which lesson was taught, why it was taught, and how it was explained. By answering these basic questions before a class, you can select one from the listed classroom teaching methods. If you feel creative, try blending two or more methods to analyze its impact on your students. You must know that every classroom is unique. By combining different teaching methods, it is possible to inspire students by creating a dynamic environment.
Teachmint is the leading ed-infra provider helping educational institutions improve their efficiency. With our offerings like LMS, attendance management, fee management system, and more, institutes can boost their productivity multifold.