Vocabulary is crucial to the language skills of a person. There's a need to develop vocabulary from a young age to improve communication. It helps the person express their ideas and thoughts, communicate confidently, and create a positive impression. For young kids, it's essential to engage in vocabulary and speech-enriching exercises. It would help them improve their English and get ahead with their studies. This practice would also pay off in their professional career when they have to talk to a large audience. With a good vocabulary and speech, they'd surely be able to impress everyone.
An excellent method of improving vocabulary for kids is interactive storytelling. Let's look over what is meant by it:
What is Interactive Storytelling?
Interactive storytelling is a method of presenting a story without an ending. The story can have a conclusion based on the interactions of the audience. The author sets the story's primary theme, plot, characters, and situation. The audience, which can be anyone from young kids to adults, interact with the story's elements and plots. This method of storytelling can be exercised through an oral, written, or digital platform. The students can go ahead with their choices about the story through these platforms and engage in an interactive session. Here are some benefits of interactive storytelling for kids and students:
- Better Engagement: Your audience would be engaged in the story if they could interact with it. It would be different and much better than the traditional storytelling method as the audience would also be able to use their creativity. It would help avoid those classroom sessions where everyone is waiting for it to end.
- Fosters imagination: Interactive storytelling sessions are the perfect way to nurture and develop your kid's imagination. They could assess the story and its elements and go forward using their creativity. It could even encourage them to pursue their creative passions and even develop a career in it.
Also Read: Children's Book as a Teaching Strategy
- Improved attention span and listening skills: Once the story has the kid's attention, they would be interested in listening till the end. It would help improve their listening skills and increase their attention span. The increased attention span can also help them in other areas of their studies.
- Improved vocabulary and communication skills: Your students would be enhancing their vocabulary and communication skills while interacting with your story. This would be an excellent storytelling method to help them become better speakers and improve their social skills. Besides, it would help them in their studies and professional life too.
- It gives them control and freedom: Interactive storytelling sessions are an excellent way to instil control and creative space in your kids. They could choose how the story goes on and select an ending according to their capabilities. It would help improve their confidence and make them more engaged in their classes.
Among all these, the major benefit of interactive storytelling is an immense improvement in kids' vocabulary and communication skills.
How Does Interactive Storytelling Improve Vocabulary?
Anyone can improve their vocabulary and speech through interactive storytelling sessions. Even adults and older students can benefit from this method and enrich their language skills. Here's how it would help in the vocabulary:
- Increased use of spoken English: The students could interact with the story's elements by speaking in the session. As they use the language more, it would automatically help them become better speakers. Also, they could easily use new words and terms in their speech, leading to a better vocabulary.
- Interaction with different plots and themes: Interactive storytelling would allow the students to understand and comprehend different pieces of the story. The more they interact with a language, the better they would have a grasp of it. Also, they'd be more inclined to put in the work with increased interest and attention span.
- Use of new words in the stories: The author or the teacher can regularly add new words in the storytelling sessions. It would enable the kids to learn and understand the new terms and slowly adapt them to their speech. It can immensely help them learn new words and increase their language knowledge.
Methodology for an Interactive storytelling session
Interactive storytelling sessions can be enriching for students at a young age. With this method, students can be helped in improving everything from their communication skills to their confidence. Here's how a teacher or author can create an engaging, interactive storytelling session:
- Select an effective medium: You should pick a practical and interactive medium that would engage the students easily. It would be better to use a digital platform than an oral speech. You can also use screens and slides to help grab the student's attention.
- Add fun, creative pictures, and elements: Your story plot should be fun and appealing to the kids. A serious story would do the opposite of grabbing their attention. Pick a theme that would be appealing to the type of audience and design the other elements accordingly.
- Keep the audience in mind: You should pick the story and elements according to the age and aptitude of the kids. It would lead to a fun session for your class. Also, choose the words and terms as per their age and understanding and avoid using complex terms.
- Plan the interactions: You should avoid throwing the plot in the classroom without a plan. It would be better to assign turns or choose people if you want to include everyone.
- Track engagement: You should also track the engagement of the session once you start interactive storytelling. It would help analyse which themes, mediums, and plots grab the better attention of the kids.
Interactive storytelling is an effective and proven way to enrich students' minds, creativity, and vocabulary. Kids love stories, and they would definitely look forward to the class if they could create those stories themselves. Furthermore, it would be a fun way to learn new words and terms rather than cramming them from written texts. So, you should plan to level up your storytelling and create a fun interactive storytelling session now.
Teachmint helps schools envision a future where their students are equipped with 21st-century skills. With our advanced learning management system, you can improve the teaching-learning experience. Our offerings like education erp, admission management system, fee management system, and others conveniently digitize educational organizations.
Suggested Read: Productivity Hacks for Teachers