IPMAT is an abbreviation for the exam Integrated Programme in Management Aptitude Test. The IPMAT exam is an aptitude test offered by 5 IIMs for admission into their 5-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM). Those 5 IIMs are as follows:
- IIM Indore IPM
- IIM Rohtak IPM
- IIM Ranchi IPM
- IIM Jammu IPM
- IIM Bodh Gaya IPM
This 5-year program also includes within it the MBA Programmes of the respective IIM. However, it is not compulsory that you need to complete all 5 years. If the student has completed all the papers of the first 3 years, you can quit the course with a 3-year degree offered by the respective college.
IPMAT Eligibility Criteria
Every IIM has its own eligibility criteria, but on the whole, there are three main requirements the candidate has to satisfy:
- Age Limit - The first and foremost criterion is that the candidate should be less than 20 years of age as of July 31st of the year you're taking the IPMAT exam. So, if you are planning to take IPMAT in 2022, you should have been born after 31st July 2001.
- 10th and 12th standard marks: The candidate should have a minimum score of 60% in Standard X/SSC as well as in Standard XII/HSC or other equivalent examinations. If you are among the minority communities such as the SC, ST, and PWD category, the minimum pass qualifying mark is 55%.
- Documents Necessary: Keep your Standard X or SSC certificate as well as Standard XII or HSC or other equivalent examinations’ mark sheets ready by your side during the time of registration itself. In addition, keep your migration/leaving certificate read while f. If you fail to produce these documents, your admission will be canceled with immediate effect.
IPMAT Exam Pattern
This is where IPMAT is quite unique - each IIM has its own IPM, and therefore, as a result of that, they conduct their own IPMAT exam. However, usually, the IPMAT is a 2-hour online exam consisting of 3 sections in an order that is predetermined by all IPMs. All IPMAT exams test high school Mathematics & English skills, with the third section being the exam testing Logical Reasoning. Currently, there is solid information only on IIM Indore's and IIM Rohtak's IPMAT exams.
IPM Indore Exam Pattern
The IPMAT Indore is divided into 3 sections:
- 40 questions of Quantitative Aptitude MCQ questions with section-time 40 minutes
- 20 questions of Quantitative Aptitude short answer questions with section-time 40 minutes
- 40 questions for verbal ability assessment with section-time 40 minutes
So in total, there will be 100 questions that need to be completed in 2 hrs. The short answer questions do not carry any negative marking but the MCQ questions have a negative marking of -1.
IPM Rohtak Exam Pattern
The IPMAT Rohtak is also divided into 3 sections, but what the sections deal with are slightly different:
- 40 questions of Quantitative Aptitude questions with section-time 40 minutes
- 40 questions of logical reasoning questions with section-time 40 minutes
- 40 questions for reading comprehension and verbal ability assessment with section-time 40 minutes
In total, the exam is 2 hours long with each question having an average time requirement of one minute. Each question carries 4 marks each and there will be a deduction of one mark for each incorrect answer.
How to Prepare for the IPMAT Exam
The syllabus for the IPMAT Indore and the IPMAT Rohtak are quite similar, but the exam pattern and blueprint are unique in their own way. When it comes to the preparation required to attend the exam, it can be broken down into two parts:
- Getting comfortable with the portion & the type of questions asked
- Getting ready for the exam by taking a mock test & solving past year papers, etc.
Just like any other competitive exam, the IPMAT is all about practice and timing. The candidate must be able to identify what topics they are good at and which ones they are not. Plan which questions you will prefer to attempt on the basis of your strengths and weaknesses. This will reduce the probability of losing marks because of wrong answers. Keep in mind that overconfidence and lack of the same are both detrimental to writing an exam. Keep a level head while attempting the exam and make sure that you have all the documents ready with you so that you don’t have to scramble around at the last minute.