Imagine yourself in a big city, working in a plush office, and living the best life. Now, imagine meeting your old friend and discussing your journey with them. You have achieved whatever you had wished for yourself.
Does it appear like a scene from your future or are you living the life you have always dreamt of? You can realize your dreams in many ways, and one of the techniques that might help you with your dreams is future self-journaling. You can achieve your goals by adopting this technique. However, first, it is vital to set a goal for yourself.
What is goal setting?
Goal setting is the process in which you take active steps to achieve the desired outcome. You define a timeline for yourself and try to accomplish your objectives within that time frame. A bigger goal can be broken down into several small steps. You can move forward to achieve these small goals to attain success.
The process of goal setting is divided into three broad categories. These categories are:
- Process goals
These goals are controlled by your desire. These are specific processes or actions you perform to step towards a bright future. For example, aiming to study for a few hours daily at a particular time is a process goal.
- Performance goals
These goals are based on personal standards. These are highly controllable goals.
- Outcome goals
If you set goals for winning, it is called an outcome goal. For example, aiming to land into your dream company is an outcome goal.
Goal setting gives you direction and helps you attain the most within a defined time frame. However, goal setting alone is not enough to reach your destination. It should be accompanied by proper planning.
What is future self-journaling?
You can define this term as the process of writing a letter to your future self. It can also be defined as a bucket list for your dreams and goals. In short, you manifest your dreams through this process. It includes journaling all the things that you want from your life. Self-journaling is a process of training your mind and forming a connection with your future self.
Why are goal setting and future self-journaling important?
Journaling helps you in practicing mindfulness. Moreover, it improves your productivity and motivates you to achieve more. Likewise, goal setting also gives you direction and guides you to follow your dreams. When you achieve your goals, you get the motivation to perform better than usual. As a result, you are more focused on achieving greater things in your life. Moreover, here are some of the benefits of goal setting and future self-journaling.
- These techniques enhance self-awareness and help you make better decisions to achieve your goals.
- Better planning ensures that you achieve your goals within a specified time. Moreover, it keeps your physical and mental health in check by reducing stress.
- Goal setting and self-journaling give clarity to your thoughts and feelings. Moreover, these techniques improve self-reflection and help you solve problems efficiently.
- You are self-motivated as you know what you want from your life. Also, you will take better care of yourself.
- You will develop a positive outlook toward the future with goal setting and self-journaling.
How to get started with self-journaling?
There is no right or wrong way of getting started with journaling and goal setting. However, you can get added benefits by following the tips mentioned below:
- Start by listing whatever you have achieved till now. Be grateful for your achievements.
- Next, set goals for yourself. For example, you can visualize what your future self will be like and what you want to achieve in your life in the next few years.
- Note down the habits that you would like to change in yourself. Also, write how changing these habits will reflect on your future self.
- Set affirmations for yourself.
- Be consistent and patient. Try to journal every day.
- Do not be rigid with yourself. Make a flexible journey and provide space for changes in the plans.
- Keep a template in place.
To be consistent, try to journal for at least 66 days.
Tips for goal setting
Some tips that make your goal setting journey easier are:
- Set SMART goals. SMART means specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-based goals.
- Set both short and long term goals for yourself
- Set goals that motivate you to perform better
- Write down your goals on a paper
- Adjust your goals when necessary
- Reward yourself when you achieve any goal within the set timeline
Do not delay the process, and start now to make the most out of your time. Remember to be consistent to achieve the most.
Suggested Read: A Guide to Memorization Techniques for Learners